Friday 24 August 2012

More Monsters


I said in my previous blog that I should expect more monsters (aka unpleasant surprises) to show up during the next two weeks. There was a slight lull, I almost started believing that everything would run smoothly, but then today kicked me in the balls.

This is what happened.

I’ve contacted the University a few times since being accepted on the course. Mostly it’s to verify things: the letters they send I find to be worded oddly, or just vague, and I’m scared of getting something wrong in the ID verification/pre-registration process in case it affects my admission to the course or something similar. Anyway, from my various phone calls, I had successfully mailed all my ID documents, my original exam certificates, my CRB and health check forms, cash for the CRB check; and I’d learnt that term started on 3rd September, and that I should expect to receive a welcome pack and a book list before then. I’d managed to secure myself accommodation, with a moving-in date of 1st September. I’ve spoken to my current employer and arranged to finish work this week.  I’ve organised and completed my placement; I’ve written and mailed the report. I’ve sorted finances. I’ve done the all the pre-course requirements and “necessaries” that I can. 

Or so I thought.

Today I got a letter. This letter says that the University hasn’t received my Degree certificate, or my CRB check, or my health check; and that a delay in receiving these documents will delay my registration. Now, I know for certain that the University has received these documents a) because they’ve sent them back to me, b) they’ve taken the cash for the CRB check and c) I’ve received my copy of the CRB check. So, once again, I called the University.

The lovely receptionist checked my file. She said that actually they do have the CRB check, and my GCSE certificates, but not the rest. Strange, given that I sent all the documents at the same time, in the same envelope. The receptionist said they’d had temps in during the summer who must have made an error when logging my details. So, I’ve sent them again. 

I decided to ask about the welcome pack and the book list. Apparently, I’m not getting them. Today’s story is that some tutors have put them together, but not for English. Lovely.

Oh, and the last surprise: term doesn’t start until 17th September!

Now, I’ve calmed down a bit since reading the letter and re-sending my documents. I’ve realised that the later term-date isn’t such a bad thing: I’ll have two weeks to get to know my new city, and two-weeks to read whatever I want, and to generally get my brain back into education mode. Not having a book list gives me a vast amount of choice over which teaching theory/practice books to read; and no deadline of when to have them read.

However, I’m still annoyed. The University received my documents at the beginning of June, but wait until the end of August to send me a (rather accusatory) letter about not having them. I’ve had absolutely zero contact from the University since the beginning of June when they requested the documents. And, having contacted the University with questions, I learn today that I’ve been given the wrong answers…repeatedly. This is what I’m getting for a £9,000 tuition fee. It’s not just about the fee though. This is supposed to be a professional course, and now, I’ve gone from being excited about starting the course, to having my faith in the course dashed and slightly afraid that my registration process is going to have been hampered by the University’s error; and that I still have the wrong information. Everything just feels too disorganised, too unprofessional, which is worrying for someone who likes things sorted and settled in advance. I really don’t want to be starting this course feeling how I do right now.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, what a mess-around you've had. It's a worry in one sense but not entirely unexpected. Universities do employ lots of temp staff over the summer and, hopefully, once you're into the term all the confusion will depart and the wheels of uni will run along without a hitch. At least being in situ early means you can sort out any further issues in person before the course starts. Try not to let this brief fluff- up and your nerves ruin an otherwise exciting time for you. It will be good, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, I'm building silver linings all over the place. Plus, I figure this is the admissions/administrative side of the University; the actual department could be brilliant. At least this has happened before I've started, so I know to triple check everything in future (in case their admin department is always so disorganised). No point dwelling on it.

      I have to say though, blogging about it has been far more beneficial than the wine I'd considered: now I'm less annoyed and have no hangover! And, I'll have two weeks to explore the city rather than one day. Time to be a tourist :-)

      Delete