Monday 28 May 2012

Hurdles


[This title is me getting into the spirit of the Olympics].

This week saw the arrival of the paperwork. Gosh, I do love paperwork, especially filling out forms… I guess I should probably get used to it as I’m going to be doing lots of paperwork after September. Actually, I’m not complaining: I’ve been waiting for the paperwork for a while. I like it. It shows me that this is actually happening. I’m finally getting to train as a teacher. Plus, this came with a little surprise.

I opened this hulk of an envelope to find a bunch of forms and a letter- apparently of explanation, but it just raised more questions. Anyway, I’ve had to fill out a form and pay for another CRB (despite me currently having two valid CRB checks); complete a health check –this raised a few issues, such as ‘who actually is my GP?...Oh really?...I’ve never met him’, and the like. All things that I should probably know already. Thank goodness for parents.  And, finally, I have to sort out a bunch of exam certificates and identification. Turns out I have to send the originals, not photocopies. My original ID documents. In the hands of the postal service. I’m worried.

Actually, that wasn’t all. The surprise! I have now been requested to spend five days observing in a primary school, about which I must write a short report. Now, I’m fine with this. It’s been a while since I’ve been in a primary school. I’m looking forward to it. My problem is with the schools themselves. Here follows a short rant.

What is with institutions and their unwillingness to help anyone at the moment? Before my first interview on this round of PGCE applications, I was requested to spend one day- One Day- in a local secondary school, observing the subject I wanted to teach. After contacting all my local secondary schools I was met with requests of “just drop in a letter and the Head will get back to you” and “If you leave your details someone will call you back”. They didn’t get back to me. I contacted them repeatedly- by phone and in person- and was just fobbed off with more of the same. Finally, the day before my interview, one school’s receptionist said “I’ll say ‘no’ on behalf of the Head then, shall I. Is that ok?”…Well, no, not really. It’s not ok.  And another school still hasn’t replied to me!

With this in mind I’ve now visited my local primary schools; and once again I’ve been met with “Just drop in a letter” and “we’ll take your details”- despite my visiting each school in person. I don’t understand what the problem is with helping a prospective teacher? I have a valid CRB check for their district. I have experience of working with the age-group.­ I don’t need paying! I just want to observe and ask some questions. Is that too much to ask? I’m only trying to check all the boxes that I have to check before starting the course.

Rant over.

I’d apologise, but I feel as though every step of my PGCE application has been met with hurdles, some of which would be completely avoidable if institutions took the time to listen. Of course, I’m not their priority, but they are a part of the community, of which I am a member, so a little bit of respect wouldn’t go amiss.  I wonder if anyone else has been met with the wall of silence with regards to observation, when a simple yes or no would’ve been more appropriate, or if I’m just cursed.

2 comments:

  1. you're right, these hurdles are the worst. i had to organise 5 days in a secondary school as well as 5 in a primary school and it was tricky.
    my advice:
    1. Don't visit, call them. Try to call around lunch time and ask to speak to the head. That way you can't be fobbed off and you can keep calling back and calling back. I basically got a list of my local schools off the internet and was prepared to call each one, but got lucky with school 2.
    2. Call at a good time - you might have a lot more luck after this half term break, now SATs are out of the way.
    3. Be flexible, you can go whenever they can have you!
    4. Don't overwhelm them with things you need when you call. Just ask them to spend a week there and agree to whatever whey offer, you can sort out specifics once you're in.

    It'll be worth it - I just reread my blog post about my week in a primary school and remembered how much I loved it : ) http://0newteacher0.wordpress.com/2011/06/12/on-my-primary-school-placement/

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, and the link. Yes, I've placed a lot of emphasis on flexibility in the letter I sent.

      I, too, have a list of local schools. Starting with those closest to home.

      I think persistence is the key. It's just draining when you hear nothing back, despite (what seems like) constant calling. Frustration, I think, is the word to describe this process.

      I am really looking forward to spending time in school. Just getting there is going to be the problem. I'll let you know how it goes.

      Delete