Thursday 7 June 2012

Half Term


I was going to use this post to write about Kevin Brooks’ Naked but I just haven’t finished it. In fact, it’s going quite slowly. I’m determined to stick with it though. Maybe the next post will discuss it some more.

Instead: JUBILEE!!

This is the last half-term for a long time where I’m going to truly appreciate having no pressing deadlines. No essays due in, no exams, and  I’ve filled out all the forms that I’ve been sent. Really this week all I can do, in terms of preparation, is read and research.

So alongside this reading, I indulged in some hobbies (all in the spirit of the Jubilee)

This is my jubilee contribution


It may not look beautiful (my piping skill leave much to be desired), but it was delicious! This is the first time I’ve ever made Chantilly Cream. I cannot believe I’d made it into my twenties without having made Chantilly Cream. It is godly!

Aside from that I’ve been acquiring books:  The Tiger’s Wife (Tea Obreht) is on order, after it just kept popping up in everything I read; and The Fault in Our Stars (John Green) is due to arrive today. I heard that this book is beautifully written, dealing with a tough topic; hilarious and heartbreaking. Everything I’ve read about it has been positive. Of course I want to read it. Plus, it’s teenage fiction. My interest in life has now become teenage fiction!

I think I’ve also overcome whatever the issue was that I had with Classics. I would start them and just get bored. I could never really get into the story, no matter how great the writing. Earlier this year, I decided to bite the bullet and read Northanger Abbey. I surprised myself by not only finishing the book, but actually enjoying it. So, this week, I have started Pride and Prejudice, and it’s going well.

Finally, a quick thank you to all the people who have suggested books or authors to me. I’ve taken on board all the suggestions- the result of which is a large booklist and an even bigger Amazon wish list. I am genuinely looking forward to reading them.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment