Saturday 21 July 2012

A Monster Calls (and other reading)


This blog really is becoming Teenage Fiction Review Central, but reading is all I can do until I receive more paperwork from the University (apparently a book list and a Welcome Pack are heading my way).

After reading this review/ shining endorsement of Patrick Ness and Siobhan Dowd’s A Monster Calls, I thought I’d give it a try. I was not disappointed. I finished it last night (it took me about two days to read, around work commitments) and so, after drying my eyes, I posted my review to Goodreads. This is what I thought (Warning: contains spoilers):

                


 Oh my! I am somewhat devastated. I have just finished A Monster Calls and it's left me in pieces.

Simply put, A Monster Calls tells the story of how 13 year old Conor O'Malley is affected by his mother's terminal disease. But that really is simplifying things.

In order to cope with his mother's illness, Conor invents (or does he?) a monster who visits Conor to tell him three stories, with the proviso that Conor will then share a story with the monster. A story which will be the truth behind Conor's recurring nightmare. While sharing his stories, the monster encourages Conor to destroy his Grandma's living room, and attack Harry, the school bully, before finally confronting his own truth.

The book is undoubtedly aimed at a younger audience, which is shown through the style of writing, the phrases employed by Ness, and the short chapters. This did grate slightly with me; but will work brilliantly with the younger reader. Nevertheless, Ness does not shy away from the very real effects of living with a terminal illness: he portrays how Conor's life is not that of a normal 13 year old; how the looks and special treatment he receives at school don't make Conor feel any better; and how Conor, while understanding the eventual outcome of his mother's disease, does not understand fully the actions of the other adults who are affected.

In addition to Ness' fantastic writing and Siobhan Dowd's brilliant ideas are Jim Kay's illustrations. They are the perfect complement to the words on the page: they reveal just enough to fuel the imagination's fire, without giving away all the elements of the scene. I love how the main characters are never fully drawn. The colour scheme of black, grey and white really serves to add mystery and support the tone of the book. Furthermore, they are drawn to be a part of the story; not a separate picture that the reader can choose to ignore. Like the branches of Conor's monster, the words and the images are intertwined throughout the book.

Despite this being aimed at the younger reader, do read it if you're an adult. It is so brilliantly written. I made the mistake of reading the first chapter just before going to sleep. Needless to say, it was an uneasy sleep.

Seriously, do give it a try. I’m going to recommend it to everyone I know.

Aside from being scared (just a bit) and left an emotional wreck from reading A Monster Calls I’ve been compiling a book list of teenage fiction, drama and poetry. Admittedly the drama and poetry is (currently) based on what I find from searching around the school syllabus, but it’s all on my ‘intend to read over the next year’ list. The teenage fiction is a mix of books that pupils will be taught in school, and just general fiction- books to be read for interest. I’m especially keen in finding books/ authors that appeal to boys, as my conversations with current English teachers suggest that this is an area on which to focus.

I’m really hoping, also, to have an emphasis on poetry when I have my own class (dreamer, but it’s good to have goals). Poetry is my interest and my strength. I want to bring it to teenagers, to change the perception of it being seen as fuddy-duddy, boring, and belonging solely to realm of scholars. Poetry is for everyone! Anyone can read, write and perform poetry. Events such as Shake The Dust are an inspiration and are definitely things that I hope to introduce to future students. With that in mind, I’m seeking out poetry. Not the poetry that kids have to study, but – as with the teenage fiction – poetry for enjoyment. Poetry that they’ve chosen to read/perform. I think the next things that I’ll be reading are poems. I discovered the work of Caroline Bird earlier this year, and her collection Watering Can is fantastic! Caroline Bird inspired the activity that I used to get on to the PGCE course, so her work will definitely have a space within my teaching practice.  Last night I stumbled upon the work of Jen Campbell. Her debut poetry collection, The Hungry Ghost Festival, was released this week and I think that’ll be the next thing I read and blog about.



And now, I have a confession to make, I am really struggling with Pride and Prejudice. I’m not getting into it as much as I did with Northanger Abbey. I know it’ll show up on required reading during the course of the next year, so I really have to read it. I’m very tempted to get the audiobook, but I’m afraid I’ll miss out on the nuances of the writing. Northanger Abbey showed me the humour and subtleties within Jane Austen’s writing, so I almost feel as if I’d be cheating if I “read” Pride and Prejudice via audiobook.  Opinions please.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely to *meet* you on Twitter, Lotte. Exciting times ahead with your Teacher Training.

    I agree, Northanger is a more enjoyable/lighter read than P&P initially, though P&P is probably a book I'll keep returning to and find more each read.

    As for boys' fiction, Thomas Taylor's "Haunters" and graphic novel "The Awakening" by Gonzalo Navarro are two new ones with merit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And likewise. Yes, exciting and busy. I'm looking forward to it.

      I'm determined to stick with "Pride & Prejudice". Today is Sunday, and the sun is shining: ideal reading weather. (And, I've deliberately avoided all the films and dramas about P&P, so as to read it).

      Thank you for the recommendations. I'm keeping a list of everything, but also adding them to my Amazon Teenage Fiction wish list. "The Awakening" doesn't seem to be on there (and my library's fairly awful), so I guess I'll be waiting a while before reading it. "Haunters" is though, so that's something to be going on.

      Delete