Saturday 7 July 2012

Inspirational


Here is the post-placement blog.

What the hell was I so worried about?  I have had a FANTASTIC week. I’m going to break it down into some kind of order otherwise I’ll just splurge everything as and when I remember it, and produce something scrappy rather than something vaguely coherent.


On Monday I arrived nice and early, armed with all my valid CRBs, a notebook (plus notes on the Cambridge Primary Review), the handbook from my university, and (of course) a packed lunch. Aside from lunch, I didn’t need any of these things. I met the head who asked a few questions about what I needed, and then he introduced me to the class teacher, who was fantastic. Honestly. He basically gave me free reign- access to anything I wanted in the class, including his laptop; the option to use the school’s PPA room for any note taking I needed; and even the chance to teach a lesson, should I wish! What he did highlight though was that this week wasn’t going to be a typical week because the kids had just done their SATS, so they were having a relaxing week and focussing on their school production, rather than individual subjects. This wasn’t a problem as most of my observation was to be focussed on classroom management, rather than how each subject was being taught.

Then I met the kids! I was introduced and told them a bit about myself. They didn’t seem even remotely phased. It was very much a case of ‘new person, we don’t need to change what we’re doing. No big deal’. Brilliant. Everyone: staff, support staff and pupils were so relaxed around me – and really helpful – it definitely helped me to relax.

Once the production rehearsal got started, I had been allocated/part volunteered to be involved with props- my prop being backdrop. So I spent most of Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday designing, drawing and painting a Greek street. Some of the kids really admired it; others said my (frankly awesome) Greek houses looked like tables (until they were painted, that is). Having a role in the production enabled me to integrate – and feel less like a lemon – while observe how the staff managed the pupils. I had the best of both worlds.

By Thursday and Friday the kids and staff had truly relaxed around me, and I around them. The pupils were happy to tell me stories in the morning, or talk about what they were reading, their favourite subjects, secondary school hopes and the like. It was really great. The staff were also chattier in the staffroom. I think it helped that I live in the same village as the school, so local concerns could be talked about. It was also great to hear what primary teachers thought about secondary schools – the teaching, the use of displays, and the workload. I would never have had that insight without this placement.

This blog seems slightly sparse given that I spent a truly wonderful week on placement; and I didn’t only make props, I did quite a bit. However, I don’t want to divulge too much out of respect for the school’s privacy and confidentiality etc.  What I can explore are my feelings towards the whole experience. Obviously, my feelings are positive; especially compared to how I was feeling this time last week about the whole situation. If you’re reading this and are planning to teach in a secondary school, I would strongly recommend going into a primary school. I have found it incredibly valuable to see where the pupils are coming from, and to see primary teaching with fresh eyes (at least, not as a pupil, or as a 16year old work-experience kid). This week has been so rewarding, and a real eye-opener. I actually am going to miss being in school next week. It was such a fantastic atmosphere.

So, I guess, if you’re going on a placement such as this, my advice would be: don’t worry overly. Do some research on the school.  And when you get there, try to help out as much as possible- fetching, carrying, holding doors, people appreciate it. Oh, and saying hello and smiling to people helps dispel that awkwardness of being ‘the new guy’. But most of all: be yourself.

A small warning though: I only spent a week in school, but it was so brilliant that, at one point, I genuinely considered swapping my PGCE Secondary for Primary. Then I remembered how much I appreciate English, and really want to teach Secondary English, rather than Primary science or PE. But, when you’re in a great school, the enthusiasm and atmosphere is highly infectious.

Ps, on Monday, in assembly, the head teacher announced that his word for the week would be ‘Inspirational’. This week has been truly inspirational for me. I am ready to get stuck into this PGCE.

No comments:

Post a Comment