Thursday 12 July 2012

Review: The Tiger's Wife - Téa Obreht




Today I finished reading Téa Obreht’s The Tiger’s Wife and, considering I don’t count myself as a fan of magical realism, I was a bit surprised to find that I actually enjoyed the book.

Téa Obreht is a very gifted writer. Without giving away too much of the plot, I really loved the way she intertwined the many stories that run throughout the book. I love how she has the very factual, definite world of medicine laced with that of myth and superstition.  Above all, however, I loved Obreht’s descriptive writing. Her portrayal Sarobor on the eve of war is beautiful. She drew me in. I wanted to be in Sarobor, to wander the streets, to have lived there in its heyday, to experience the smells and sounds first hand, rather than through the grandfather’s memories. I finished the book hours ago, and I still wish I could have lived there. (At the same time, this could be my subconscious telling me I need a holiday)!

As I’ve already said, I’m not a fan of magical realism; and so at times I really had to force myself to suspend my disbelief. Saying that, from my point of view, The Tiger’s Wife wasn’t completely absurd: it wasn’t overly difficult to buy into this world of the deathless man. What I found most difficult about the book was the narrator, Natalia. I had to constantly convince myself that she was female because, for some reason – to me – she sounded and acted very male for most of the book. Even once I knew she was female, I still pictured her as male. I’m still trying to figure out why I thought like this: was it the author? Is it my own prejudices? It’s certainly something for me to think on.

The main reason I read The Tiger’s Wife was because, at the time, it popped up in almost everything I read, and it intrigued me. My copy, however, contains a section at the back of discussion points which seem directed at the younger reader. This has certainly given me something to consider with regards to its PGCE/teaching potential.

Wherever I take The Tiger’s Wife, I will definitely be reading future works by Téa Obreht. And, if you haven’t read The Tiger’s Wife yet, I suggest giving it a try. It might just surprise you.

It’s going to be a bit of challenge deciding what to read next.

No comments:

Post a Comment