Saturday 15 September 2012

Farewell, life as I know it.



On Friday I registered. From the letter I’d received I was expecting to register in the morning and then spend the afternoon getting an introduction to the PGCE course. Instead it was just a lot of paperwork, and all over by 12.

It wasn’t a complete let down though. I did meet some people on the PGCE course. I’ve met two other students training in PGCE English, and one in Maths. Unfortunately, the English trainees are commuting to university/placements. I do hope to find someone on the English branch of the course that lives in the city. Still it’s nice to finally meet other people on the course. I'm looking forward to getting to know them.


I’ve signed up to all three Unions (thank you responders to the last blog post. Your info put my mind at ease). I now have more free wall calendars and student planners than you can shake a stick at.


I also received a timetable for the next three weeks. In a word: busy.


We’re getting the introduction to the course on Monday morning and after that it’s Go! Go! Go! Almost every day is 9-5 and a mix of subject specific learning and general methods/teaching practice/ theory. They call it “Foundation in Professional Studies” or ‘FiPS’. That’s for the next fortnight. The third week is on placement. Just observing, I think. I cannot wait to get started. I’ve got my lunch boxes ready. I’ve sussed the bus timetables/routes. I’ve registered with Specsavers (a doctor’s surgery will be during this week), and I’m planning anything and everything for Saturdays (the non-PGCE day). I’m excited and nervous at the same time.


I’m trying not to let my experiences with the university’s administration department to date affect my attitude towards the course. I am hoping for a well-organised, highly professional course that will live up to the standards I place on myself. And by that I mean, I always ask the very best of myself – especially during this course- I’d be a fool to waste the opportunity that I’ve worked hard to gain- and I put pressure on myself to do well. I want the PGCE to have that same expectation. I am not/have no intentions of walking into a school with this attitude (although, I hope the mentor I’m assigned is thorough): I understand that I’ll be an alien to the pupils at my placements, but I do want the best from my university. I don’t think I’m asking too much really, although a part of me is preparing myself for disappointment.


Anyway, that’s thinking ahead. I guess I’ll have to review that aspect of the course when I’ve finished. Monday it all begins, and I cannot wait! I am so excited to be learning again, to be busy again, and to be able to go in to schools and observe and then teach. This year is going to be a rollercoaster. I am ready.


This blog shall also revert to its original purpose of documenting the PGCE (and beyond) process. I hope to post at least once a week, on a Saturday. Keep an eye open.

No comments:

Post a Comment