Sunday 23 September 2012

Politics

The general advice we've been given with regards to politics in schools/within education is to be aware of the issues, but to not get involved.


I see the reasoning behind this: we're at the very bottom of the ladder; we're just training, we should remember that we still have our whole careers ahead of us and to focus on that, during this year. We can make our political statements/allegiances known once we've secured a job.

Now, I imagine it's fairly easy to avoid getting embroiled in staff room politics. A nice smile and polite comment about not wishing to get involved. However, being aware of the broader issues (and hearing snide comments about Michael Gove -almost daily- from the faculty in University) makes it very difficult not to form an opinion/ keep that opinion to myself; especially when I see articles such as this from the Independent
   and the regular "brainwaves" of Mr. Gove.

While I'll try to keep my mouth shut, politically, in the staff room; I'm interested to see what will happen when the subject of Gove/ the coalition's handling of education comes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment