Saturday 29 September 2012

Week Two

It may only be the end of week two but it feels as though I've been on this course for three months already. I think this is down to the vast amount of information and tasks we've been given.

So, what have I done this week? Monday we delivered our lesson plans. Ours went quite well (no thanks to the internet disappearing, thus ruining the effects my lovely links would've had). Then we were given our first assignment task. It involves planning a bunch of lessons, delivering two of them and then writing an assignment about them. However, it has to be in conjunction with our placement school - based on what classes they let me teach, and what the pupils already know. So, while I have ideas floating around, I can't put pen to paper until I've been in school.

School is on Monday! Eek. A lot of this week has been preparing for that. Yet I still feel completely unprepared. We've been given a list of important things to find out, such as the name and contact details of our school mentor; a stack of things to ensure the school gets; and about 4 million things to observe; whilst maintaining a reflective journal and our Standards checklist. Of course, it's only an observation week. I'm quite pleased that the pressure isn't on me to do any teaching. I feel there's so much I don't know. But, I don't want to be sitting at the back of the class either- I think I'd be more of a distraction if I did. So, my plan is, get the administrative stuff sorted, and then relax and just enjoy the week.


Yesterday we met the people from other subjects going to our school. There are four of us, I'm the only one with the English department. I also bought a bike yesterday. Apparently there are a lot of roadworks around the school so I think a bike is the best option. Plus, I'll get fit and it's cheaper than the bus. I think I'll do a practice ride this afternoon.

We've also been asked to create a Novel Box. The idea is you fill a box with objects relevant to the text that will be the class reader, without actually revealing the text. This box will be the students' first introduction to the class reader. The plan is to get them interested in the text before they start reading it. It's quite exciting. We're presenting to our fellow PGCE-ers, so I can't reveal it yet in case any of them are reading this. But, there will be a blog about the Novel Box (with pictures).

Anyway, I'm going to enjoy my day-off, probably by planning what to do tomorrow. Maybe I'll go shopping too. Get some school & bike suitable clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment