Saturday 13 October 2012

Week 4



This post is an amalgamation of the last two weeks really.

I’ve completed my observation week. It was nice to see so many different subjects and teaching styles, to meet different members of school, and learn how the different departments function. I doubt I’ll see much of the other departments now as each has its own staffroom. Shame.
 
From now until the end of November I’m only in two days a week, which feels a bit weird, but I’m also grateful for the university time. I like the other members on the course and Uni is the only time that we really get to see other.

My first day this week did leave me feeling like a spare part (which I suppose, in a way, I am). Things improved on Friday though. I have been assigned a new mentor, who is lovely, and I have a provisional timetable for observations and for the classes I’ll be teaching when I’m there full time. I was flicking through the calendar yesterday and I really do not have a lot of time before I’ll be teaching classes. Exciting and terrifying.

Had a bit of a moment on Thursday when I sat there and stared at the pile of paperwork and assignments and planning that’s going to be required. Foolishly, I let it completely overwhelm me. Panic! Since then, I’ve broken it down. A lot of my initial planning will be to meet my first deadline (as the assignment involves planning, teaching and evaluating some lessons), so that’s manageable. At the moment, I quite like planning. Well, I like the ideas; I just need to refine them in accordance with specific foci, objectives and abilities.

While I say I don’t have a lot of time before I’m taking classes, the school I’m in also seems to be understanding enough to let me take things at my own pace. They’re not going to force me to take a class if we don’t think I’m ready. I think I’ll be ready though. Plus, this week has made me realise that, really, I don’t need (and am not expected) to be able to do everything at the moment.

Otherwise, I quite like the school (I was undecided at the end of last week). The kids are brilliant. I’m still a bit of a novelty to them, so they’re fairly well behaved around me. I intend to drag that out as much as possible. They are really funny though, and the department I’m in is full of friendly- and incredibly helpful- people.


Top Tip for this week: Don’t run before you can walk. Everything will come in good time. Just take it step by step.



And now it’s pouring with rain, which is a grim end to a blog, so instead I’ll leave you with this: it is, quite literally, a cup cake!


No comments:

Post a Comment