Monday 22 October 2012

Week 5

Sorry blogosphere, I've been very quiet this week. I've caught a cold that's turned into a chesty cough, so I'm spending most of my 'free' time sleeping in the hope that I'll be cured soon.

I have a routine. I am fairly over-organised. I find it helps me deal with things when they go wrong, so having routine...and a plan...settles my mind and me.

I'm really happy in our PGCE group. We've gelled really well. We had a group night out last week (on a school night!- big mistake, but a fantastic night out). We're all sharing ideas and asking each other for help; and there are no major cliques forming. It's a comfortable group to be in and around.

My placement's going well. I was only in one day last week due to the school closing on Friday - not illness. I refuse to let sniffles keep me away from placement. And there will be only one teaching day this week because of half term. I'm quite looking forward to going on my first ever Inset day though. I've no idea what to expect.

I'm getting to know the department, and the dynamics of the classes I'll be taking. I'm also beginning to get the chances to apply my university learning to the practice I see in school. It adds so much clarity.

Last week's focus was on communication. Thankfully, I was able to witness a fantastic lesson which left me with a million and one ideas about communicating with pupils, classroom management, lesson structure...the list goes on.

I'm getting quite excited about being able to teach some of the classes myself. I think I'll be given the opportunity to do some starters or plenaries after half term. In the meantime I've got one eye on my assignments and the other on the here and now. But I'm actually not panicking. Good sign.

Next post should be slightly more exciting because I should be slightly more healthy and, therefore, engaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment