Saturday 27 October 2012

Week 6

So, I'm cheating this week. Officially it's half term, but with uni commitments, I'm not really getting a half term. The university's dropped our seminars and tutorials, but replaced them with a 3 hour lecture on Monday (eurgh) and some project work; and the preparation for the first assignment. Due to all of this, I'm working through my Saturday and Sunday, then popping home for a few days.

So this week's been interesting. A slight schism feels as though it's developing in our group, which is a shame. I really hope that we can work through it as a group, rather than letting it become a big issue, especially as it seems to be one person isolating themselves.

We did our starters on Wednesday. The rest of the group had to pretend to be KS3 students, while we delivered starters on a given aspect of grammar. My partner and I were given 'Conjunctions'. Oh dear, oh dear. The group enjoyed our activities, but we were slightly sidetracked by a couple of people just not understanding how one word could be a subordinating, but not a co-ordinating conjunction. We did get through it, but I felt as though we'd done a really awful job. The feedback, however, was very constructive. I hope the feedback is similar when I'm observed in a real class.

School was great. A lack of sleep on Wednesday night meant that Thursday was a tough day, but I kind of had that 'running on empty' energy. The whole department was anticipating half-term though. Friday was a training day, based around safeguarding children. I'm very pleased I attended.

The rest of the group are bonding well. We're rallying together to share resources and help each other when someone's struggling with ideas. It's great to know that we're all there for each other.

So half term! Whoop! Today I'm gathering information for an assignment and tomorrow I'll be planning lessons that I'll actually get to teach in November. I'm very excited for that. Hopefully after half term I'll get to do some plenaries or starters too. I enjoy being a teaching assistant, but I think it's now time to get stuck in to the teaching. I think it'll help build my confidence and cement my role in the school, both in my own head; and in the eyes of the students.

Now to get my head around some more theory. Every conversation I've had with teachers in my school implies that, really, I only need the theory for this year- they never really use it again. I suspect that actually they are using it, but it's become embedded in their thought process that they don't realise it.

Enjoy the break!


No comments:

Post a Comment