Friday 19 April 2013

Let's get this blog back on the road

Goodness, I got back from the Netherlands and haven't had a chance to stop.

I've been run-down with the ill (still don't know what it is, but I'm on the mend) and thrown into the fray with the teaching and Ofsted visited, so I was pulled away from the teaching and applying for jobs and booking skills tests and assignments and..well yes, the 'to do' list is still fairly long, but I feel that I have a bit of time to breathe this weekend.

So, new school. Been there two weeks now. Two very very different weeks.

Week one I met my y9 class properly when I started teaching them. I requested no host teacher so I could make my stamp on the class. I was met by a wall of defiance from the class. After our first two lessons together I was feeling fairly exasperated. My mindset changed from 'going to plan fun lessons and get these kids through their assessments' to 'I will break them'.

Well, it's changed again now to 'challenge accepted'. I've persisted with the kids and I feel as though I'm making progress. Our last lesson this week was almost pleasant. If anyone had been formally observing, I'm sure I would've failed. The kids had one earphone in for most of the lesson. However, this kept them seated and quiet, which meant they weren't distracting the minority of students who wanted to work. They were on-task for most of the lesson too. I think music is the way forward with these guys. Plus, I've learnt to laugh at them. There's no point me standing at the front, shouting. The kids aren't interested. I will need more long-term, observation-acceptable strategies for this class though.


Been getting to grips with a fairly difficult unit (Medieval poetry) to teach to Y7. The class have made it clear that they don't like poetry, so trying to teach it in a way that's entertaining is the challenge. I got it drastically wrong for all concerned last week. But this week, I think I've cracked it. We'll see.

The O-bomb dropping was not helpful. I had just created plans for my units, which all had to change because I wasn't allowed to teach for two days. The impact of their visit means my plans may well yet change again. Seeing the effect of them on the department was horrific though. I am not looking forward to the visits once I'm an NQT/teacher.

So, I feel as though I'm settling in this school. It was a horrible shock after the Dutch school, but I'm certainly less stressed here than I was at TP1 (currently). The English department is lovely, and people have started speaking to me now that they know I'll be kicking about for a while.

Now I just need to complete two assignments, revise and pass my skills tests, book lessons and pass my driving test, and get a job. Preferably all before the end of July. #nopressure


No comments:

Post a Comment