Tuesday 23 April 2013

The Slump

Yesterday I was feeling glum.

I felt like I'm the one putting in loads of effort but the kids just aren't interested. I have a class at this school who just are not interested in learning/ do not value their free education. I wanted to show them a video about kids who don't have access to education, something horrific, something to make them cry; but empathy isn't their strong point and it'd work for about 30 seconds.

I've distracted them with shiny stars, which in itself speaks volumes.

But I was just really disappointed that the pupils are so disinterested, and so incredibly lazy. They're expecting me to do all the work. Now, of course, I'm new to the profession, but I'm fairly sure that's the wrong way around.

Is it just these kids, or is it like this in all schools? Do pupils really no longer think for themselves?

Couple this with the fact that most conversations in school are about people changing profession or counting down the time (in years) until they can retire. I'm hardly enthused.

Guess I'm just having one of those weeks
.

No comments:

Post a Comment