Saturday 20 April 2013

Review: Rites- Sophie Coulombeau





Rites by Sophie Coulombeau

(Cross posted from Goodreads)

For some reason Rites took me quite a while to read.

I was attracted to Rites by the narrative style. The story is told from the point of view of the characters, so the narrator is constantly changing.

I wondered if it would work. I wondered if I'd forget who said what. I wondered if I'd actually get a connection with the characters.

The device is very effective. I have formed a clear opinion of each of the characters. Constantly I'm questioning whether I should believe what I'm reading. Coulombeau cleverly asks the reader questions directly and drops in opportunities to recall what other characters have said previously.

This is not a book which I could just read for some nice imagery or turn of phrase or the storyline. I had to actively engage with every part of the story. This I loved, and is probably why it took me so long to read Rites- I couldn't just read it before going to bed. Commitment is required.

I definitely recommend you dive in and meet the characters of Rachel, Nick, Lizzie and Day, and found out what happened one hot English summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment